Academy of Model Aeronautics

District VII Members Forum
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: October Flights-Ringmaster fly-a-thon-Debut of new model
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:57 pm 

Everyone/Anyone,
Managed to get in some flights today, 2 Oct 16, as part of the worldwide Ringmaster fly-a-thon. The RC club I belong to was interested in participating so shut down the field so people could bring out Ringmasters to fly. In all, we had 7 pilots with 10 Ringmasters (1 electric), 2 Jrs.r, 1 Baby and 1 Beginner's to make for a flight total of 38 flights. Maybe not as aggressive as some clubs, but not too shabby for some RC guys. We lost 2 airplanes in a midair collision with some low key combat and a few others broke some props with unscheduled stops. The guys seemed to have fun and have it on schedule for next year as well.

I was a circle hog by taking 3 flights each on 4 of my airplanes (Ringmaster, Jr, Baby and Beginner's), 2 on my Korean Ringmaster that did not have successful combat in the US and 1 on Steve Hines' Estes Ringmaster 15 (which is significantly different than the Jr.) for a total of 15 flights. About half of what I did on Sunday last year which as 10 flights on 3 different airplanes. The Broome crew is planning a make up session next week due to bad weather and field conditions this weekend. Was glad to get done early so I could mow the grass as it had been raining all week.

I learned to fly on a Beginner's Ringmaster a long time ago (40 years) and was able to obtain an original kit this summer. Took a detour from the regular building schedule and put this one together and tried to do a better job than I did so long ago. It still needs to have some decals installed on top of the wing but is flyable as I proved today. I have a Baby Bee mounted up front and it sports the paintjob that you can see on the box. Took the wheels off as we were flying over grass. Things that I was reminded of today as I flew: 1/2a airplanes do not pull worth a darn, beginner airplanes are not really good stunt airplanes-I managed one loop but that was all I wanted to try and that the glide slope is about the same as a brick. Still was happy to have flow the airplane.

John

Profile E-mail