Academy of Model Aeronautics

District VII Members Forum
It is currently Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Banshee Build
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:47 am 

Everyone,
Encouraged with the success of the Demon project I have decided to move forward with a Banshee that I brought over with me. I have done the preliminary work of figuring out which parts weigh the most and have marked them for the OB side of the airplane in the hopes that I can reduce the amount of tip weight I need to add. Some consideration is being made about modifying the flying moments to make it similar to one that I flew some years back that I thought flew pretty well. Basically I stretched the flap to elevator by 2 inches and increased the size of the tail feathers. Will add adjustable lead outs and a tip weight box as well as change to aluminum gear. Power will be electric. I will post from time to time as things unfold.
John

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Banshee Build
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:15 pm 

Everyone,
I am still poking along on this one. I have the wing fully assembled with flaps in place for a total weight of 7.5 ozs minus tip weight. I modified the bellcrank mount to a suspended type so it should be bulletproof. I will be following some guidance received by Clancy that follows along with his Mr. Ugly article from CLW with respect to tail design. On one I built a number of years ago I moved the wing forward 2 inches to help with balance and increased the tail volume to help with turning. Since this one will electric I think I can hit the balance point with no fuse modications but think that the tail volume increase is still a good idea. The tail will most likely be next and then on to the fuse. This project is moving along pretty well and my wing jig appears to have yielded a fairly straight wing.

Current plan for finish will be Ultracoat on the wings and tail and clear polyurethane on the fuse. I have been taking pictures along the way and will post them at some point soon.

John

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:29 am 

Everyone,
Still taking pictures and moving along on this, just have not compressed the pics to be small enough to post as of yet. All of the main components are done and everything is prepped to receive what they need to receive like the motor, landing gear, horns, hinges and battery. I stacked all the wood and the power train and other things on the scale and obtained a weight of 37 ozs. The wheels and covering were not included, so I am guessing that I will be closer to 39-40 ozs ready to fly. The OB side of the wing is covered now and it is going well but I am finding that I could use more practice with covering, but it does not look too bad so far. Hang in there, I will be getting closer to done soon and will start posting some pics of the build and the final product.
John

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:12 am 

Maiden flight was on 15 Feb 14. Just a teaser pic here as there is more detail to add to the airplane. See the general discussion for the full flight report.
John

Attachments:
E-banshee.JPG
E-banshee.JPG [ 70.57 KiB | Viewed 192 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:39 pm 

John
That is looking good, now I might have to build another one for my self.
Clancy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:05 pm 

Clancy,
If I were to do another one I think I would stretch the tail a couple of inches, use thicker wood for both of the tails and try to find a way to shorten the nose a little more. The smaller batteries that I have would allow for this but I built for both types hence the longer nose (still shorter than stock). Sorry I did not get the Mr. Ugly side of the project right. Maybe after I add some color here and there. For now I think I have fully captured Mr. Plain though.
John

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:08 pm 

John
When I built my Banshee with Jack Sheeks' mod's it was to be my PA trainer plane so I kept it cheep. I painted the exposed wood with some leftover Flat Camouflage Tan paint I had and covered the wings and tail with some bright Orange iron on covering. Jack Sheeks made the first flight on it and I was shocked! He took off and did a couple of easy maneuvers then flew it level for several laps. "How bad was it" I thought. Then he put it through a full pattern that even I could identify each maneuver. When he landed he said that I could not fly it until I got better. I never flew it but Jack won the SIG contest twice with it. At the first SIG contest the other fliers started teasing Jack about his ugly airplane. Jack took a magic marker and wrote "Mr. Ugly" on the wing and told them that before the weekend was over they would be calling it Mr. Ugly.

Yes, Jack flew it through a full pattern on it's maiden flight. That is how good "Mr. Ugly" flew. The only change ever made to Mr. Ugly was an engine change from the original Fox 35 to a Commemorative Black Fox 35 that said "SIG" on the side that he won the first year he flew Mr. Ugly at the SIG contest. They had taken 10 Fox 35's apart and made the Case, Back plate and Head Black. No attempt was made to keep parts sorted so the engine, #10, that Jack received was very tight. He asked me to break it in. First run lasted less than 20 seconds when the engine seized. After half a gallon of fuel it would run for over 1 minute before seizing. I said it was tight!

After more than a gallon of fuel it started to loosen up and run cooler. The people at SIG were shocked that Jack even tried to run one of the black Fox "SIG" 35 engines, let alone enter it in a contest. We mounted the Fox "SIG" 35 on Mr. Ugly and Jack took it to the next SIG contest and won again with it.
Clancy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:25 am 

Everyone,
Finally getting around to posting the pictures of the build. Overall the build went well and I did not do anything unconventional even though I varied from the instructions a little with respect to the control system. Let's start with the wing. I used a wing jig that I brought over with me. The constant chord made it pretty easy to set up and I was able to flip the wing over as needed.
John

Attachments:
Wing Frame up 1.JPG
Wing Frame up 1.JPG [ 52.76 KiB | Viewed 175 times ]
Wing Frame up 2.JPG
Wing Frame up 2.JPG [ 58.26 KiB | Viewed 159 times ]
Wing Frame up 3.JPG
Wing Frame up 3.JPG [ 51.94 KiB | Viewed 183 times ]
Wing framed up.JPG
Wing framed up.JPG [ 38.66 KiB | Viewed 156 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:29 am 

The controls are the heart of the system. I should have paid a little more attention to detail as they are not quite as free as I like, but still quite serviceable.

Attachments:
Bellcrank initial assembly.JPG
Bellcrank initial assembly.JPG [ 41.46 KiB | Viewed 167 times ]
Bellcrank initial fitting.JPG
Bellcrank initial fitting.JPG [ 45.33 KiB | Viewed 140 times ]
Bellcrank installation.JPG
Bellcrank installation.JPG [ 44.31 KiB | Viewed 166 times ]
Center section inside view.JPG
Center section inside view.JPG [ 49.93 KiB | Viewed 166 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:37 am 

Next up is the fuse. It is a profile, so how hard can it be? I chose to keep some of the hardwood in the nose for stiffness and used the original doublers. The lengths of hardwood that I did not use in the fuse became the mount for the motor. I tied these into the fuse with dowels that passed through the hardwood in the fuse. Should be held together fairly well. Needed to size things initially around the batteries that I thought I would be using for this project.

Attachments:
Battery options.JPG
Battery options.JPG [ 70.61 KiB | Viewed 133 times ]
Gluing in some hardwood.JPG
Gluing in some hardwood.JPG [ 49.73 KiB | Viewed 133 times ]
Gluing doublers down.JPG
Gluing doublers down.JPG [ 58.15 KiB | Viewed 166 times ]
Fuse roughed up.JPG
Fuse roughed up.JPG [ 40.71 KiB | Viewed 170 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:41 am 

Some of the motor mount detail.

Attachments:
Locking the mounts in place.JPG
Locking the mounts in place.JPG [ 43.5 KiB | Viewed 141 times ]
Motor mounting system.JPG
Motor mounting system.JPG [ 57.83 KiB | Viewed 182 times ]
Motor Initial Fit.JPG
Motor Initial Fit.JPG [ 43.88 KiB | Viewed 143 times ]
Fuse with motor in place.JPG
Fuse with motor in place.JPG [ 45.91 KiB | Viewed 145 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:49 am 

Next up was making the tail feathers and starting to cover things in preparation for final assembly. I used the dimensions from Mr. Ugly for the tail. As mentioned before I used a larger tail on my first Banshee so know that this is a good modification.

I have shown how I do the hinge slot covering. A little wood is left exposed. I suppose if this were a gas model I could seal the edges with either a little CA or epoxy to keep the flaps from getting oil soaked.

Also for hinges, I used the Dubro large pinned style. I like to use aliphatic resin injected into the slots. All of the hinges have a little white grease on the gaps in the barrel to keep things from sticking. The glue works great between the plastic and the wood and usually gives you enough time to get everything aligned.

Attachments:
tail feathers.JPG
tail feathers.JPG [ 70.27 KiB | Viewed 144 times ]
Stab covering-glue of choice for hinges.JPG
Stab covering-glue of choice for hinges.JPG [ 61.49 KiB | Viewed 153 times ]
Flap covering-slot detail.JPG
Flap covering-slot detail.JPG [ 47.23 KiB | Viewed 171 times ]
applying covering.JPG
applying covering.JPG [ 40.79 KiB | Viewed 156 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:56 am 

Leaving wood exposed where there will be glue bonds left only final assembly. I used some of the weights I have to help with the stab to wing alignment. The flap installation turned out to be a little bit harder than I thought, but I managed to get everything connected.

Please feel free to post any comments or questions you may have. I will post something when I have all the trim in place.

John

Attachments:
Wing to tail alignment set up.JPG
Wing to tail alignment set up.JPG [ 47.2 KiB | Viewed 153 times ]
Initial Assembly.JPG
Initial Assembly.JPG [ 36.85 KiB | Viewed 159 times ]
Banshee on test flight day.JPG
Banshee on test flight day.JPG [ 107.64 KiB | Viewed 126 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:19 am 

Finally got out the lettering and the other colors and dolled it up a little.
John

Attachments:
Color Shot 1.JPG
Color Shot 1.JPG [ 41.22 KiB | Viewed 148 times ]
Color Shot 2.JPG
Color Shot 2.JPG [ 44.01 KiB | Viewed 152 times ]
Color Shot 3.JPG
Color Shot 3.JPG [ 36.33 KiB | Viewed 129 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:52 am 

We all born equal and only hard working can make us better. It's not about money, personal developent is also an issue that is very important. Improve your skills, work hard and you will get everything you want http://bigpaperwriter.com/blog/work-hard-and-it-will-lead-you-to-success

Profile E-mail