Academy of Model Aeronautics

District VII Members Forum
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sig Chipmunk
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:46 pm 

Everyone,
I have been working on a Sig Chipmunk that I originally started prior to my trip to Korea and have it to the point of joining the major components. Been taking a few pictures along the way so will try to post a few to show some of the steps. Power will be the Double Star 40 Classic that I ran in my first Chippy. Hopefully this one will come out a little lighter. More to follow.
John

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Sig Chipmunk
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:22 pm 

Everyone,
A quick update. I have everything assembled and will begin the finishing process soon. The base airplane minus cowl and landing gear weighs in at 21.2ozs. Hoping to complete around 40 ozs. Will drop some pics soon.
John

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:23 pm 

Pic feature was not working last time I checked but work is continuing. 2 coats of clear on the structure. Will probably go with one more and then look at laying down some carbon fiber, covering the wing and putting some detail in the cockpit. Building season is moving along.... Spring will be here before you know it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:41 pm 

Did get that 3rd coat of clear on and am finding that the grain is stiffening up well. Currently distracted by running a Ringmaster build in parallel. It is currently in carbon tissue and ready for primer. Will try to get the Chippy to that stage as well. Lots of projects and I am starting to run out of winter.....
John

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:59 pm 

Everyone,
I did get this one done a little over a month ago and am happy with the final result. Final weight was 43 ozs and looks a lot like the one on the box. The DS 40 is as strong as it was when I used it on my original. Bob McDonalds cowl finished up well at a significant weight savings over the supplied version. I would like to make some new landing gear that is a shade longer and a little more swept forward to help out in the grass. If I find out that the picture function is back up I will be sure to post a few.
John

Profile E-mail