Academy of Model Aeronautics

District VII Members Forum
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Profile Oriental-Shocked
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:56 pm 

Everyone,
I recently finished a Profile Oriental and tried it as an electric. Finished weight is 41 ozs with battery RTF. I took a good number of pictures along the way, so I will need to see if I can post them. Used Ultrakote on the wings and painted the fuse and tail. This one has Korean lettering and Chinese numbering to accent the Oriental theme. I used the conversion kit available from Brodak to make the motor and battery mounting possible. The conversion went fairly well although I had to eliminate the cheek cowl on the inboard side, but since I am using a smoother running power plant I think I can get away with it.

Currently running a Phoenix Edge ESC in CL Governed mode at 10K rpm spinning an APC 11x5.5 pusher prop with an FM-9 timer. Motor is the Aerowind 2815/09 and using both a Thunder Power 2700 mAh 4S1P battery as well as a Zippy K 2500 mAh 4S1P. Initial flights were made today and it looks like my 4 minute practice runs (all the maneuvers minus the level laps) is pulling about 1400 mAh out of the batteries so I should be good for a full 5:30 flight when it is time to put one up in front of the judges. This is all on 61' x 0.015" eye to eye lines with a small Reyco handle.

Initial flights look promising with plenty of power and line tension without being overwhelming. I have added 1/2 oz to the back end to try and make the turns a little more crisp but the initial set up was pretty darn close allowing for a decent corner and a good snap to level. Will try this out tomorrow morning and see if I like it or not.

Overall a good project. The airplane kit from Brodak was a bargain at $50 and the conversion kit was like $8 to make it electric. No complaints about the airplane kit being from the old die cut process. It was a straightforward build and should provide a good even comparison between the e-powered version I now have and the gas powered one I have been flying since about 2003.

John

Profile E-mail