It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What prop is best
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:45 pm 

for an LA .15? For stunt of coarse.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: What prop is best
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:51 pm 

I dunno, seems like a couple bricks ought to prop it up alright...oh...oh,never mind...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:12 pm 

Frank,
It is usually and uniformally confirmed that an 8/4 prop is the correct size for a 15 engine. It certainly doesn't hurt to start with that size. If your sizing up for the LA Warmth then it really is about right.
dennis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:04 pm 

Ray---I used two roles of tape and a small box toprop up and adjust the height of the landing gear. :D
Dennis the prop question did indeed relate to the LA Warmth. I figured an 8 inch prop but I wanted to run it by you first.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:23 pm 

I have used 8X6 and 8X4 on LA .15's in rc, both with good results. No CL experience though.

bob branch

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:43 am 

Two votes for 8 inch props is a majority here, so 8 inch props it is. I set the gear to give a 1 inch clearance to the ground.
Thankyou guys.
I've had no experience at all with .15s. Any tips , hints or recommendations will be gratefully considered.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:00 pm 

For the LA 15. I never use the remote NVA so I can't say weather they are good or bad but I use Power master 10/22 with about 1.5 oz added to a qt of the stuff to be about 25% oil.An 8/4 prop and a fireball hot (red ceramic ) plug. Set for a wet 2 and go fly. The small engines are suprisingly good and are reliable power plants so you shouldn't have much trouble with them after about 4 runs.You'll get enough time on them before you fly it just setting the engines up and getting them to sync. Just remember you sync the stronger engine to the weaker one, not vice versa. Bob Zambelli likes Brodaks blend which is 23% oil, so you have the option of using that fuel as it is easier to buy.

dennis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:16 pm 

I have not used the motor in cl but have a good bit in rc. The remote needle is zero problem there. What is though is the plastic backplate. They crack very easily and it happens just by tightening the backplate screws. Notice I did not say "overtightening." If you clamp them down you will crack the thing. They used to make a metal version for the .15 fx but they are gone 3 years or so now. On I think it was stunt hanger back at least 2 but I think 3 years ago someone was looking for them and someone else talked about making metal ones. I do not know what happened with that. If you tighten them as much as you think you should they will be over tight. Best way I found was to snug em and then use some fuel and check for leaks. If you are good, stop. If the motor becomes cranky to start or inconsistent to run, its the first thing to look for.

You might want to check to see if the fx or another metal backplated version has come back on market though. They are becoming popular in the rc combat class. Or possibly Big Art could make you metal ones if he still does work like that. I don't know if he does.

bob branch

Profile E-mail