Academy of Model Aeronautics

District VII Members Forum
It is currently Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: more for the evolution 36 C/L
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:25 am 

I know that most have seen the Evolution 36 and formed definite opinions on it's merit as a viable powerplant ,but here is the real skinny on it.
It is very well made. Just dis assemble one and it will be readily apparent to you even if your not real savvy around engines.It's running habits are impeccable too . If anyone wants to know the simple method of getting perfect runs on it every time let me know,
However their handling of the venturi and fuel delivery has been the subject of discussion with the end result of some really crude adaptation of what was perceived as their fix to the problem.
There really is only one fix and the attached pictures show how well that fix looks when properly done to any engine.

All kidding aside Jim Lee has done it again and made the perfect fix for this engine to satisfy the purient interests of our traditionalist values. It look good and works even better. Reasonably priced and available after Christmas for all you gotta have it types like me.

Dennis

Attachments:
DSC01000_edited.jpg
DSC01000_edited.jpg [ 22.9 KiB | Viewed 6805 times ]
DSC00999_edited.jpg
DSC00999_edited.jpg [ 25.61 KiB | Viewed 6805 times ]
DSC00998_edited.jpg
DSC00998_edited.jpg [ 22.73 KiB | Viewed 6805 times ]

Post subject: Re: more for the evolution 36 C/L
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:02 pm 

It looks pretty but I'd have to try one for myself. Send yours to me and I'll stick it on the nose of my profile Mustang. I'll wring it out some and give you a pilot's impression as to the engines power, performance and reliability.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:22 pm 

OK Frank, you can use it but you gotta do exactly like I say when you do or else. You guys in Detroit only think that your motorheads. LOL

dennis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:01 pm 

It's too cold out now. Brrrrrrr. But I would follow your instructions.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:50 pm 

I used the Evo .36 a pretty fair amount. It is a powerful motor and runs very nicely in the modern wet 4 stroke mode. I was not able to get it to run 4-2-4 mode. I talked with Dave Adamissin who developed the motor but could not get it to. To be fair it was the last glo motor I used and was going to use and it flew both the nobler and brodak profile p-40 so well in totally stock form that I really did not pursue the traditional run. I returned to electric and this year it flew in an RC Sundowner. That plane will get converted to electric this winter and the motor will go to storage.

The only problem I thought it had was that in a traditional stunter the needle valve required a huge hole in the side of the fuse. But I liked the location. Just a different layout and were I doing a scratch build around the motor it would be no issue at all. Trying to wessel it into a nobler with the limited room was not real easy, but a lot more doable than the Saito .40 I tried to put in it first.

Dennis, please share what you did setup wise and the type of run you are using.

bob branch

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:41 am 

bob branch wrote:
I used the Evo .36 a pretty fair amount. It is a powerful motor and runs very nicely in the modern wet 4 stroke mode. I was not able to get it to run 4-2-4 mode. I talked with Dave Adamissin who developed the motor but could not get it to. To be fair it was the last glo motor I used and was going to use and it flew both the nobler and brodak profile p-40 so well in totally stock form that I really did not pursue the traditional run. I returned to electric and this year it flew in an RC Sundowner. That plane will get converted to electric this winter and the motor will go to storage.

The only problem I thought it had was that in a traditional stunter the needle valve required a huge hole in the side of the fuse. But I liked the location. Just a different layout and were I doing a scratch build around the motor it would be no issue at all. Trying to wessel it into a nobler with the limited room was not real easy, but a lot more doable than the Saito .40 I tried to put in it first.

Dennis, please share what you did setup wise and the type of run you are using.

bob branch

The run is really quite simple. I'll assume that your doing a profile. Use a plastic tank set up for uniflow. Do not use pressure. Make a fill and overflow vent and put them on the inboard side of your model. Cap the bottom after filling. Use Omega fuel and an 11/4. My flying buddy uses a M/A prop and he seems to like it. Set it where your happy and Don't go for really hard 2 cycle. In all cases the engine does not change much in maneuvers and will speed up for a lap before it quits cleanly.
Just to get a different perspective I use a balanced, and cleaned up zinger 10/6 on an Oriental. Set it wet 2 and fly the schedule. Engine does not have any quirks and also does the same quit as the profile. I almost never use a tach for a non piped engine so I can't tell you the RPM range. Use your finger over the fill tube when running to check the wind up. sufficient to say it isn't going lean and power is more then adaquate for any 40 sized model.
My only cavat would be to bury that awful APC 10/4.5 prop that everyone uses. I never found one 40 sized engine that I liked with that thing on it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:27 pm 

Dennis

I also found the motor ran in that mode best for me. Electric is kinda like a 4-2-4 on steroids with a real kick in maneuvers and it happens instantly with no delay. For a glow motor though I have trouble finding fault with the Evo. I flew Aerotigers for a few years and in my hands they run much like the Evo. Frank I think has been getting more of a break than I did but he is alot more master of glow than I am.

Having watched the development of the Evo 60 if I were going to do a glow plane I would seriously look there as well. Dave really developed a dandy there. Its nice that there are now some contemporary competative glow motors again without going to high zoot high cost motors.

bob branch

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:12 am 

Bob, Rick sold me that Evo of yours. I resold it at a profit (how often does that happen)?
Rick looked a little disappointed that I hadn't kept it, but it bought me enough gas to get out to fly with you guys a couple times.
Anyway----now that you guys are yakking praises about the engine I wish I had kept it. @##%##@!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:37 am 

Frank,

The upside of the Evolution is that the nay sayers did us a big favor. They didn't like the engine because it wasn't a fox and bad mouthed it as much as possible. The end result was that I picked up 3 NIB for $37.50 apiece and turned others on to engines at bargain prices. They are out there and available.
Stupidity is not a virtue and sooner or later the truth will win out and then all of these bargains will be gone. Don't miss out.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:54 pm 

This late in my career I think I'll borrow yours rather than add another engine to my collection.
I have it down to three different engines for my purposes. Right now I'm thinking that this wwill be my last building season and I'll retire from the hobby when I run out of planes. Or die trying.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:12 pm 

FRANK,

YOU get to retire when WE your fellow flyers SAY that you can. WHAT DO YOU THINK THAT YOUR GOING TO DO WITHOUT A HOBBY

WE will get you.WE know where you live. LOL

AND WE REALLY MEAN THIS
:mrgreen:
:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:51 pm 

I don't crash often Dennis. Those planes will likely outlast me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:34 pm 

Frank,
It may be time to fly at the Paris Triangle again.....
John :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:59 pm 

C-Lcarlisle wrote:
It looks pretty but I'd have to try one for myself. Send yours to me and I'll stick it on the nose of my profile Mustang. I'll wring it out some and give you a pilot's impression as to the engines power, performance and reliability.

Dennis: Be careful though if you send it to him, Frank's apt to keep it, like, 2 years or something...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:33 pm 

Ray,
I thought of that after I posted. But what the heck. I have a few others out there for over 5 years. I'm sure that they'll give them back when they are wore out. Probably expect me to give them another one too

Dennis