Academy of Model Aeronautics

District VII Members Forum
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Webra 12
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:57 pm 

Since its been awhile since there has been anything new on engines posted I thought that I'd show you my latest conversion. Again the work is done by Jim Lee and this is a beautiful job on an unusual engine. Not too many of these and they were really expensive when I got this in the 90's. It had a retail of $130 and the muffler was extra. This is a Webra 12 Speed so it is really in the high performance range for a small engine. Obviously twin BB and schnurle ported. I used this in R/C on one model back then and it was as they said then 'the bomb'
Obviously not for a sedate stunt job but now to find that one particular model that can benefit from a serious upgrade in power and see what this can do on a C/L model

Attachments:
DSC01668_edited-1.jpg
DSC01668_edited-1.jpg [ 47.6 KiB | Viewed 235 times ]
DSC01667_edited-1.jpg
DSC01667_edited-1.jpg [ 48.03 KiB | Viewed 209 times ]
DSC01666_edited-1.jpg
DSC01666_edited-1.jpg [ 39.11 KiB | Viewed 203 times ]

Post subject: Re: Webra 12
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:33 pm 

Dennis,
Looks pretty cool. Can you flip the muffler around to a more conventional position?

On an unrelated note, what is the fastest conventional 25 that you know of?

John

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:27 am 

John Paris wrote:
Dennis,
Looks pretty cool. Can you flip the muffler around to a more conventional position?

On an unrelated note, what is the fastest conventional 25 that you know of?

John

John,

Your not going to believe this but I'm recommending a Fox engine. Specifically the Fox 25BB. This is a really good competitor in speed limit combat and for most sport flying will wake up your senses.
It also has the advantage of being able to have its cylinder rotated to any position before the first run of the engine. It is truly potent. The cost is not extravagant and is competitive with most of the other offerings.
Another engine that you might consider and it is available again is the Norvel 25. This was the runaway favorite of R/C warbird combat until Norvel/Revite folded a few years ago. Easily almost too fast for speed limit combat and it's light to boot, its worth your effort to try and add one to your fleet. The Norvel 15 venturis and nva fits or you can get set up at Lee Machine Shop. Jim Lee does great work at reasonable prices.

Forgot to answer your question.
No it is strictly a rear exhaust engine.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:35 am 

Dennis,
Thank you for the response. I tried to purchase a Fox before I returned to Korea but they were out of stock. The racing over here is limited to 25s so I wanted to get the fastest one I could find. Did not realize that Norvel had made a 25 and I am sure that it would be fast. The FP 25 I use is okay for now though.

Regarding your engine, looking at it from the front with the cylinder up, can you move the muffler from the right to left? You have it in kind of an unconventional position in your picture except for an inverted mounting position.

John

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:56 am 

John,

Yes the muffler can be flipped. Just stuck it on for the pictures and wasn't too concerned about the correct position