Academy of Model Aeronautics

District VII Members Forum
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EVO 60 Second shot
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:27 pm 

Everyone,
I purchased an EVO 60 for myself recently after hearing that they had been discontinued. I figured at some point I would get something built for it and see if I could make one work better than we were able to in Korea. I have a profile airplane with a Chipmunk wing that I obtained from a friends estate after he passed away some years ago. As far as I know I am the only one to have flown it with the first time probably close to 20 years ago. My daughter was on my back sleeping as I flew 6 ounces of fuel through an OS SF 46. It probably flew for 10 minutes or more. My friend Carl just laughed and laughed. The point I was getting to is that the SF 46 has the same bolt pattern as the EVO and even shares the same muffler size. I had to widen the top of the engine mount to accommodate the wider case but that was it. Instant test platform.

Since it seemed that air thoughput with the supplied mufflers was an issue and my SF 46 tongue muffler had twice as many similarly sized holes that is what I went with. I mounted a 12x6 wood prop on it and gave it a few test fires off of a prime last night. Seemed like it was ready for further testing. This afternoon after work seemed to be decent enough to fly so I gave it a shot. Ran an ounce through it to set the needle and then tried another one while in the air. One ounce yielded about one minute of flight time. In all I had 5 hops with 4 of them being 2 ounce runs. Consistent and powerful so far. I was running 10 percent nitro with 18 percent oil.

Will update when I get more time on it. Happy with the purchase.

John

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: EVO 60 Second shot
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:56 pm 

John
Sounds like you found a good engine.
Clancy

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: EVO 60 Second shot
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:33 pm 

Surprisingly they don't need a whole lot of oil and castor is not an asset. I have run mine on Powermaster 5/18 with excellent results. I believe that either Dennis or Archie Adamison ran Cool Power in their tests flights with this engine. I had it on my edge 540 and Pat Kings large 60 sized 900 Sq in Flight Streak and the performance was excellent. I also ran 12/6 on the streak and 13/4 on the Edge 540. We were getting the pattern in on a little over 5 ox of fuel.
I know that you know better but others should know that you do not break these engines in like a Fox or you will surely ruin them quickly. They are ABC and need to be run at the least a wet 2 cycle. You will get a lot of pleasure out of that engine John.

Dennis